Best Teething Remedies for Babies
The beginning of the teething period in each baby is different. However, teething period in general starts around 6 months of age. The normal range of ages of teething periods are between 3 to 12 months of age. Some babies have difficulties in teething period, make them fussier and sometimes need teething remedies to sooth the pain. And some other passes the teething period with no symptoms at all.
The teeth that come out first usually are the lower front teeth then followed by the upper front teeth in 1 to 2 months later. In general, at 6 to 9 months of age the teeth that will come out first are the incisors. At 12 to 14 months of age, the pre-molars will come out. The canines follow out at 16-18 months of age. Then finally at 20 to 24 months of age, the molars will be the last to come out. And when the kid has reached three years old, he is expected to have 20 primary teeth.
Just like the beginning of teething, the teething symptoms are also different from one baby to another. One baby may have the symptoms, the other may not. However as a parent there is nothing wrong if we know about the teething symptoms in general.
10 common teething symptoms
- Drooling. Teething stimulates an excess of saliva makes your baby drools never end.
- Rash on the chin, face or neck. Contact between saliva and skin could cause the rash on baby’s chin, face and sometimes on the neck. To prevent the upcoming rash, you could wipe the saliva every time the baby starts to drool. To cure the rash, you better consult your doctor about the perfect regiment of rash.
- Cough. Excessive saliva could stimulate the gag reflex and make baby coughs.
- Biting or chewing. Teething makes a discomfort feeling in the gum. To reduce the discomfort feeling, baby will bite or chew everything he could get hold of like toys, pillow even his own fingers.
- Pain. The teeth’s pressure makes an inflammation on the gum. And inflammation leads to the pain. If the baby is fussier because of the pain, you could give teething remedies to relieve the pain.
- Fussy. Discomfort feeling and the pain because of the pressure on the gums are the reason of fussy behavior.
- Refusing to eat. Solid food makes the discomfort and pain on the gum worsen.
- Mild fever. Like inflammation in any other part of the body, inflammation on the gum could cause mild fever to baby.
- Swelling gum. Teething may cause a bleeding under the gum make the gum looks red, tender and swelling.
- Pulling the ears or scratching the cheeks. Gums, ears and cheeks have the same tissue connectivity, if there are discomfort feeling on the gums, the feeling will spread to the cheeks and ears. That is why to reduce the discomfort feeling baby sometimes reacts by pulling the ears or scratching the cheeks.
5 Teething Remedies for Babies
Now after we know about the teething symptoms, it is time to know what’s good as teething remedies for babies to reduce the severity of the symptoms.
1. Cold Things. Every one knows that ice could reduce the swells and numb the pain when any part of the body has inflammation. The sore gums also could be relieved with cold things like frozen wet cloth or frozen food.
Prepare the wet cloth, put it into plastic bag and chill it in the freezer. The frozen wet cloth will numb the gum’s pain and reduce the discomfort feeling because of the teething pressure. To give a flavor into the wet cloth, you could soak the cloth into chamomile tea before you chill it. The chamomile tea is proved to calm the agitated baby.
Be careful when you are storing the teether in the freezer. The teether might become so hard and it is dangerous to baby’s gums. Choose the teether that is save when it stored in the refrigerator. Choose the teether that won’t become so hard or won’t leak its content for the liquid-filled teether.
For foods like carrots or celeries, you do not have to store them in freezer. Just chill them. Give them if your baby has start eating the solid food. No matter what cold things you gave to your baby, you still should watch your baby to prevent the choke accident.
2. Gives a Pressure. If your baby is not comfortable with the cold things, you could give the teether rings to relieve the discomfort on the gum. Or just pressure the gums with your clean finger.
3. Topical gel or cream. Nowadays the drugstores provided the teething gel or cream that could be applied on the surface of the gum. These topical medications have antiseptic ingredients to reduce the inflammations of the gums and prevent any infection could happen.
They also have analgesic ingredients to relieve the pain and lessen the discomfort feeling on the gum. Though you have to be careful what kind of analgesic ingredients contained in the topical medications. Benzocaine-contained topical medication is not appropriate for babies under 2 years old. Benzocaine could numb the baby’s gag reflexes, makes baby could not choke any swallowed foreign things out. Parents should consult the doctor about the safe topical medications for baby and consult the pharmacist too about the topical medications which are not contained the hazardous ingredients for baby.
4. Painkillers. If teething remedies from above are still not cure the pain, consult the doctor about painkillers and its specific dosage. Do not try any additional painkiller beside the prescribed painkiller. The prescribed painkiller that proved to be safe for babies is acetaminophen. Ibuprofen could be given to babies at least 6 months old of age. Aspirin is very dangerous for kid under 19 years old. Don’t even try to give Aspirin to your baby or worse, rub it on the gum. Aspirin could induce a rare and life-threatening disease, Reye’s syndrome.
5. Homeopathic remedies. Homeopathic is a treatment by giving small quantities of substances which are caused the symptoms of condition that are being treated. FDA are not evaluated homeopathic remedies like they are evaluated the medicine and many doctors believed that homeopathic remedies still have bigger risk than its benefits as teething remedies. So you have to consult your doctor first before you are giving homeopathic remedies to your baby.